Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Flannel shirts and Barbecues


I did it. I am so sorry. I bought a flannel shirt.

I was in Plato's Closet in Indianapolis before I left and saw a cute green button down flannel shirt. I decided to buy it (and some jean shorts) because I knew it was a trend in California.

Problem is I had no idea it was such a big trend! Everyone wears flannel. It goes casual on the beach with jeans, keds sneakers, and a fedora while cruising down the boardwalk on your bike to LA chic where it is used as a layering piece under a hoodie and over a vintage tee.

The first time I wore my new flannel green and black shirt was my second weekend. I went up to LA to drive around and get the feel of the city. I was able to stop over by A.SweeT boutique on Beverly Drive to say hi to my friend Jen. (If you are ever in Beverly Hills check out this store it is so cool!)

I was feeling my LA street cred increase when I stopped into the Coffee Bean for a Chai Tea Latte. Afterward, I went back down to Newport. My friend, Mark, knew of some friends throwing a barbecue on their rooftop deck.

I was in! How neat of a first weekend out to go to a bbq on the beach. I felt like I should be in the 1960s and call it a Clambake as Moondoggie walked out of the ocean after he landed a neat-o wave.



Back to reality, I met up with the gang at Mark's. I made sure to grab some beer - never want to show up empty handed. Mark, his roommate Paris, her friend Kimmy, and I jumped on some beach cruisers and hit the boardwalk. When we showed up to the party we were the first one there. We helped ice down the beer, bring up the food, then the girls had the daunting task of lighting the grill.

It was spring break 2009 all over again! Shelby and I are trying to grill steaks on a charcoal grill and we have only ever used gas growing up. We found lighter fluid and lets just say that meat did not taste too good.

Luckily, the boys next door came over and helped us get it started. Yes, there was a house full of good looking surfer guys next door... pinch me. As one guy helped us as the others came in from the beach. I swear this started to turn into a teeny bopper TV show. Hair dripping wet, wetsuit half way off, abs I could wash my clothes on. (But egos to boot which lessens the hotness).

As the night went on we all grilled out, had some drinks, played some tunes, then it started to get chilly. Yes, it gets cold in California once that sun goes down.

Oh I almost forgot about my flannel. It was complimented on! (say what?!?) The hot surfer guys were all like, "hey nice flannel." Um, thanks?

As it got colder on the roof, one of them even asked if they could borrow it. I said no because then I would get cold plus it wouldn't fit them. He laughed. I was confused.

I haven't quite made up my mind about the flannel. I have yet to wear it again but it was very warm and comfortable. Thoughts?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

To me, flannels are like fleece pants but less "homeless" looking. Definitely a keeper. I'll give you a hint too, look in the mens dept for some.

Post a Comment